Write a review
- 3/4 cup diced small an assortment of mushrooms (I used shitake, baby bellas, and oyster mushrooms)
- 1 onion, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage, minced
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 can chicken broth
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste .
- Cut your bread into cubes the night before and let them sit on the counter to dry.
- Preheat oven 350.
- In a large saucepan add some olive oil and heat over medium high heat. When oil is hot add your onions, garlic, celery, and mushrooms. Saute' till veggies are tender. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Add your butter, parsley, thyme, and sage. Slowly add 3/4 of the can of chicken broth. Let simmer for about 15 minutes for flavors to merge together. Take off heat.
- In a large bowl add your bread crumbs and then your broth mixture. Toss, adding more chicken broth if dry, and more bread crumbs if too moist. Taste, adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Remember don't stuff your bird until you are ready to bake it.
- Bon Appetit!
- Since I used a small hen, I only used a little of my stuffing. I packaged up the uncooked stuffing in a freezer container. Don't forget to label and date anything you put into your freezer. I have enough for two more hens or just a side dish for another day.
Birdie's Kitchen https://www.birdieskitchen.net/